News Top Stories

Anxiety as gunmen abduct 9 people in Abuja

By Isiaq Olumodan and Adekunle Adebayo

There was palpable tension on Tuesday in the Federal Capital Territory when nine persons, including a 12-year-old boy were abducted.

Our correspondents report that the victims were kidnapped in Pegi community, a resettlement area in Kuje Area Council of the FCT, Abuja.

The victims, according to residents, were kidnapped on Monday night at about 8:00pm by gunmen who dressed in military camouflage.

It was gathered that the gunmen shot at two vehicles, including one NISSAN Frontier and Toyota Solara.

An witness who simply identified himself as Daud told one of our correspondents that the bullets deflated the tyres and created deep holes on the vehicles.

He said one of the victims was in critical condition. A victim who was released on health ground said the attackers could not be less than 20.

However, the kidnappers had called on Tuesday morning to demand N10 million each as ransom from their relatives.

SAHEL STANDARD reports that this is the second time kidnapping incident would happen in the community apart from the ‘one-chance’ and other security challenges have been ravaging the capital city.

Last year, four people were kidnapped along the same makeshift path to the community that housed naval quarters.

A naval officer and one civilian were seriously injured at the scene which is less than 300 metres to the community in the December 6, 2018 incident.

Just like what happened yesterday, the victims were stopped while driving home around the same time in the night.

The abductees trekked for eight hours through forest before finally reaching the kidnappers’ den in Nasarawa State.

(Additional report from Daily Trust)

Related Posts