APC Crisis deepens as NEC Meeting Ends Abruptly
By Idowu Isamotu, Abuja
The crisis rocking the ruling All Progressives Congress on Friday took a new twist after the National Executive Committee of the party which held at the National Secretariat of the party in Abuja ended abruptly, SAHEL STANDARD can report.
It was gathered that members of the NEC who want to move a motion were shut down by National Chairman of the party, Adams Oshiomhole – a development that angered some party members who were present.
Spokesperson of forum of APC State Chairmen, who is also the Chairman of Zamfara State APC, Lawal Liman confirm this to journalists at a press briefing that over 50 NEC members have resolved to pass a resolution to sack Oshiomhole.
Members of the NEC also expressed their displeasure at which Minister of Niger-Delta, Senator Godswill Akpabio was sent out of the meeting.
Our Correspondent reports that the National Chairman quickly adjourned the meeting when there were signed NEC members wanted to move a motion to sack him.
The detailed release read by aggrieved party NEC members can be found below:
The All Progressive Congress (APC) was founded as a platform for the progressives in Nigeria in 2014, with “change” as the slogan ofthe Party.
2. The Party was positively embraced by the citizens ofNigeria, culminating in record breaking victory of President Muhammadu Buhari, as the first opposition leader to defeat an incumbent President.
3. Most of the goodwill acquired by the Party, by reasons of its religious adherence to the provisions of its constitution and the tenets of internal democratic practices has taken a downturn, principally due to dictatorial and despotic tendencies of the National Chairman, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, who has usurped the powers of the National Executive Committee of the party.
4. This may have been responsible for the admonition of Mr. President who insisted that the Party Organs, at the State, LGA and Ward levels, must be strengthened and accorded due respect with regards to the powers and responsibilities conferred on them by the Constitution of the Party.
5. Most unfortunately the facade conducted by the National Chairman, today, the 22nd of November, 2019, as a National Executive Committee meeting, leaves much to be desired. He completely ignored Mr. President advice and rather defied all known rules for meetings by precluding contributions from members and ending the meeting abruptly, without achieving anything This is most unfortunate and undesirable.
6. Arising from the foregoing and having regards to the huge responsibilities bestowed on us as officers of the party and in the overriding interest of our our members, we are left with no option but to demand that Comrade Adams Oshiomhole resigns his position as National Chairman, in order to stem the slide and provide an enabling environment for genuine healing, reconciliation and the practice of true democracy, within the party across the country.