Covid-19: Sultan-Led JNI Calls for Total Border Closure,Others
25th Rajab, 1441 AH
20th March, 2020
PRESS CONFERENCE ON THE PANICKING STATE OF CORONA VIRUS (C0VID 19):
CALL FOR REASONABLE AND CAREFUL ACTION
Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI) under the leadership of His Eminence, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar, CFR, mni, Sultan of Sokoto and President-General, JNI, is seriously disturbed over the increase of spread of the deadly Corona Virus (Covid 19) and also perturbed on the threat it poses to life of the citizenry in our dear country, Nigeria.
The Corona Virus is becoming more worrisome and alarming; hence, His Eminence the Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of JNI is on a high level consultation with senior Muslim Scholars on the next step to be taken.
However, it is not right for people to be spreading fake news all over the place on the worrisome life threatening scourge, baselessly.
It is also inhuman and immoral, creating unnecessary panic which in the end causes more harm than the real virus. Nigerians are already put into serious stress more than they can bear in stocking food, coping with social isolation, closure of schools and banning of meetings.
Nonetheless, government should direct all relevant agencies in redoubling their efforts and providing the necessary medical equipments and facilities needed to tackle this menace in order to save the citizenry from this dangerous virus.
This trying time calls for introspection and sober reflection for humanity to appreciate the greatness of Allah (SWT), His Might and Power, in testing humanity with the weakest creature of the simple air we breathe and can’t catch or reverse it.
We are therefore urged to take necessary recourse and refuge in Him the most high for relief and healing.
CALL FOR ACTION:
- The onus, lies squarely on the government that is saddled with the constitutional responsibility to protect the health, lives and property of the citizenry.
- Government should also take decisive, wise and proactive measures in nipping in the bud this dangerous pandemic, after taking the final experts’ advice and call for uniform action nationwide, thus, in order not to have a divided attention and arbitrary decisions by contradicting each other.
- All religious institutions and organisations should abide by the decisions taken by the government in curtailing this pandemic.
- Total border closure should be enhanced for fear of influx of neighboring countries Nationales getting entrance into our countries because of the nature of our porous borders.
- Government must see to the provision of special health centers nationwide for testing and quarantining.
- Strong palliative measures should be taken, in order to cushion the painful economic effect of this pandemic which has already caused inflation in the country especially, on the livelihood of the citizenry; because of the irregular changes of demand and supply.
- The relevance of food security cannot be over emphasized, as it forms part of the palliatives in cushioning the pang of this menace. As such government should provide outlets for essential commodities for the citizenry at subsidized rates.
- There should be routine briefing and updates to the nation on the situation of the pandemic, in order to forestall fake news and romour mongering.
- Nigerians are warned to desist from making mockery of this pandemic as it tantamount to irresponsibility and lackadaisical attitude which compound the wrath of Allah on mankind.
10 . What is needed on the citizenry is introspection and reflection in humility to Allah the Exalted.
- There should be no politicization, regionalization, tribalization, sectionalization whatsoever over this pandemic, because it is a national tragedy and should be considered as such.
- Adequate funding by the government on the affore-stated actions should be given priority for positive result.
Additionally, the citizenry, in their various institutions and affiliations should accept the government decision in good faith. Hence, government should monitor all rules and regulations put in place in order for proper adherence.
Furthermore, all health and medical advice should be adhered to by everyone in order to compliment our Du’a (prayers).
As Muslims, the spiritual angle should be vigorously explored, these include among many others:-
- Need not to panic, as panicking could generate more harm than benefit
- We should be prepared, thus, will help in taking precaution and control of the pandemic
- We should remain calm wherever we are; as the Prophet (SAW) said, “If you get wind of the outbreak of plague in a land, do not enter it; and if it breaks out in a land in which you are, do not leave it.”
- Repentance and seeking of Allah’s forgiveness
- Engaging in the recitations of the Glorious Qur’an with pondering and meditation
- Constant Dhikr, (remembrance of Allah).
- Partake in a lot of Du’a (supplication) for Allah’s intervention.
- Fasting and giving charity to the needy.
- Our Imams should start Al-Qunut (Special Prayer) in their obligatory prayers
Also spiritual protection should be holistically implored, by adhering to the Prophetic Dhikr, thus:-
“In the name of Allah, when Whose name is mentioned Nothing on Earth or in Heaven can cause harm and He is the Hearer, the Knower”
The Prophet (SAW) used to say: “O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from leprosy, madness, elephantiasis, and evil diseases.”
We should give Trust to Allah:
Allah the Exalted says: “Never will we be struck except by what Allah has decreed for us; He is our Protector, and upon Allah let the believers rely” Q 9:51
Conclusively, all Juma’ah and five daily congregational prayers’ Imams should mount strong advocacy and enlightenment campaign against the scourge and the epidemic nature of the Corona Virus Pandemic.
They should urge their entire congregation to adhere to the precautionary recommendations made by the ministry of health and all other relevant agencies on the scourge.
JNI calls on all Imams to engage in special prayers during their sermons, preaching and other sessions for Allah’s quick intervention in wiping away the Corona Virus Pandemic and all other Diseases Bedeviling Humanity.
May Allah the Exalted restores back peace and security in our dear country, and protect the health of the citizenry.
Dr. Khalid Abubakar Aliyu
Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), N/Hqtrs.,