Communique Of The South West Zonal Meeting Of The People Democratic Party
(1) That the leadership of the Oyo State Governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde is sacrosanct and leaders of the party in all the six States of the South West Geo-political zone agree to work with him to move the party forward.
(2) That all the leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party in the South-West geopolitical zone agreed that there is evidence of division among individual states which is making it difficult for us to come out victorious in recent elections in the region with specific reference to Ondo State Governorship election despite the rejection of the ruling party in the South West by the electorates.
(3) That all leaders agreed that a concrete and positive steps be taken on the need for unity and cohesion in the party, stating that the zone remains strategic to the PDP if it must win presidential and other national elections in the country.
(4) That a 5 man committee be set up to be known as the South-West PDP Reconciliation Committee to be headed by the former governor of Osun State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola with the following people as members:
(a) Chief Saka Balogun;
(b) Chief (Mrs.) Kofoworola Bucknor-Akerele,
(c) Ambassador Omolade Oluwateru and
(d) Barr. Olayinka Kukoyi.
(5) That the leadership of the party in the South West led by Oyo State Governor, HE, Engr. Seyi Makinde should call on the national leadership of the party to bring all aggrieved factions in the party together by ensuring that whatever we agreed upon at the zonal level should be the final decision that will be approved by the national leadership of the party without any interference whatsoever from any individual or group of people.
(6) That the leadership of the party decided to decide the zoning of the Zonal Offices of the party to various States which was democratically debated and agreed upon as follow:
(a) Zonal Chairman – Oyo State
(b) Zonal Secretary – Lagos State,
(c) Zonal Publicity Secretary – Ekiti State,
(d) Zonal Organising Secretary – Ondo State,
(e) Zonal Financial Secretary – Osun State,
(f) Zonal Youth Leader – Osun State,
(g) Zonal Legal Adviser – Ogun State,
(h) Zonal Treasurer – Ogun State,
(i) Zonal Women Leader – Oyo State and
(j) Zonal Auditor – Lagos State.
(k) The meeting also resolved that, in the spirit of fairness and equity, additional slots of ex-officio members be given to Ekiti and Ondo states in view of the fact that they would occupy only one office each in the zone.”
(7) The PDP leaders also agreed that they should used the occasion to call on the Federal Government and the National Assembly not to go-ahead with the proposed clampdown on social media, saying the move will infringe on Nigerians’ freedom of expression. Instead it was agreed that they should called on the Federal Government to strengthen existing laws to prevent the abuse of the freedom of expression.
Hon. Dayo Ogungbenro
Peoples Democratic Party,
South West Zone.