AU Joint Declaration for a Peaceful Election in Niger
SECOND ROUND OF THE PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT OF FEBRUARY 21, 2021
1. The African Union (AU), the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the European Union (EU), and the United Nations (UN) renew their congratulations to the people of Niger for the holding of the polls on December 13 and 27, 2020 and call on national institutions, stakeholders, civil society, active forces, and more specifically, women and young people who participated in large numbers in previous consultations, to engage in good faith with a view to a peaceful presidential election on February 21, 2021.
2. Indeed, on January 30, 2021, the Constitutional Court of Niger validated the results of the double ballot of December 27, 2020. Thus, the Court declared the candidate of the ruling party PNDS TARAYYA Bazoum Mohamed first with 39.30% , he is followed by the RDR candidate TCHANJI Mahamane Ousmane with 16.98%. By these results, the Constitutional Court confirmed the candidates Bazoum Mohamed and Mahamane Ousmane qualified for the second round scheduled for February 21, 2021. The campaign began on Sunday January 31, 2021.
3. A few days before the ballot is held, we remind the parties to the electoral process to maintain their responsible and constructive attitude in order to strengthen social cohesion and preserve peace.
4. We encourage stakeholders to avoid any act aimed at preventing the voter from making an informed and independent choice during the ballot on Sunday February 21, 2021.
5. We encourage the stakeholders, in the event of disagreement with the results of the CENI, the only institution authorized to disseminate the compilations of votes, to resort to legal channels by referral to the competent courts, in accordance with the Constitution and the laws of Niger. .
6. We urge the Nigerien people, who demonstrated in the first round their attachment to democratic values, to maintain the same momentum for the second round of the presidential election on February 21, 2021.