Gunmen invade Osun Community, many injured

Many people were reportedly injured on Thursday as gunmen invaded Egbedi community in Egbedore Local Government Council Area of Osun State over a land and chieftaincy dispute.

The gunmen, who reportedly laid siege on the town were seen shooting sporadically into the air and attacking residents with cutlasses.

Speaking on the matter, Oba Azeez alleged that the hoodlums were working with the backing of Timi of Ede, Oba Adesola Lawal, to install a monarch on Egbedi land.

“The land they were trying to install a monarch on is currently a subject of litigation in a court in the state; instead of waiting for the outcome, they resorted to attacking our people.

“I am calling on Nigerians to come to our aid as six of my subjects are currently receiving treatment over the incident,” he said.

An eyewitness, Kolade Oladele confirmed that a chief and two princes of the town were attacked during the mayhem.

The source noted that the Elegbedi of Egbedi, Oba Muideen Azeez, had earlier heard that some persons from Ede and Erin were gathering at Olasaope junction and sent emissaries, two chiefs, and two princes to determine their mission.

He said, “Upon inquiry, the thugs descended on the Chief and the two princes with cutlasses. They attacked Chief Ajiroba , Yisa Abayomi, and Prince Abioye, and they had to run to a police station before the police took them to the hospital for treatment.

“Later on Thursday, the hoodlums returned with a gun and stopped in front of Elegbedi’s palace and started shooting sporadically in different directions in our community.

“Six people are in hospital who are battling for their life. The hoodlums shot them. He added that one Oriade Kazeem led the hoodlums from Ede, an aide of Governor Ademola Adeleke, and was boosting to have the governor’s backing”.

Reacting to the allegations, the media office of the Timi of Ede, in a statement issued on Friday, stated that the palace has nothing to do with the crisis in Egbedi.

“Timi palace has nothing to do with the crisis in Egbedi; it is the Iloba family that has a land dispute with the town and not Ede town,” the statement added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *