Osun Payroll Crisis Deepens as Accord Tackles APC Over ₦13.7bn Claim

By Waliu Adetokun,Osogbo

The Accord in Osun State has accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of orchestrating what it described as a “scripted drama” in the renewed controversy over an alleged ₦13.7 billion payroll fraud in the state.

In a statement issued on Saturday by its Osun State Chairman, Pastor Victor Babalola Akande, the party alleged that a recent press conference by the APC on the staff audit report was politically motivated and aimed at misleading the public.

The Accord said the allegations were being recycled in collaboration with a consultant it described as “discredited,” claiming that the figures presented had previously failed verification.

“What transpired is not opposition oversight; it is a carefully staged collaboration between a discredited consultant and a desperate political party seeking relevance after losing the trust of the people,” the statement read.

According to the party, the audit period under scrutiny largely covered the years the APC was in power in Osun State, arguing that any irregularities discovered should first be addressed by those who managed the payroll system at the time.

The Accord further alleged that the consultant had declined to subject its findings to a transparent joint verification process, a move it said raised concerns about the credibility of the claims.

“In a painstaking venture like auditing, honest findings invite scrutiny, manufactured numbers avoid it,” the party stated.

It warned against what it termed an attempt to create public panic through “unverified figures,” suggesting that exaggerated liabilities and ghost worker claims could be used to pressure the state into financial commitments.

The party commended the Osun State Government for insisting on verification before adopting any new payroll framework, describing the stance as a responsible measure to safeguard public funds.

“The people of Osun must ask who truly benefits from inflating ghost worker figures? Certainly not workers, pensioners or taxpayers,” the statement added.

While calling for a full investigation by relevant authorities, the Accord urged that the matter be handled through proper institutional channels rather than media exchanges.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *