The Nigeria Police Force , Osun state has warned the people of Oyo and Osun, not to violate electoral law.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by CSP Ayeni Benjamin, Anipr. Police Public Relations Officers,for AIG, Zone 11 command Osogbo, which reads:
- This is a golden information to the good people of Oyo and Osun States in preparation for the forthcoming Governorship and House of Assembly Elections that will come up on Saturday 18th March, 2023.
- In compliance with the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, psc(+), NPM, NEAPS, fdc, CFR directives towards the 2023 election security management for the Governorship and State House of Assembly elections, slated for Saturday, 18th March, and 2023. The AIG Zone 11 Command, AIG S. K. Akande ordered the strict enforcement of the election’s day restriction of vehicular and other unauthorized movements from 12am to 6pm.
- These directives include the subsisting ban on the use of siren, revolving lights, covering of number plates by unauthorized persons, non permission of the use of tinted glasses as well as unauthorized armed security personnel to escort VIPs to voting centres, equally the ban on State-owned, local vigilante and private security outfits from the Election Security duties is still invoked.
- The AIG Zone 11 Command reassured the citizens of Oyo and Osun States that the Nigeria Police Force with the support of other security agencies is committed to ensuring free, fair and credible elections, for this reason, as part of the measure put in place, there will be strict enforcement of restrictions on Vehicles and Motorcycles movement on election day.
- He therefore advised all eligible voters to move to their villages, towns, or cities to exercise their civic responsibilities by casting their votes for the candidates of their choice without any fear of intimidation or harassment. He also instructed the citizens to be closer to their polling unit before midnight,(1200am) on Saturday, because people will only be allowed to walk to their polling units while movement of vehicles and motorcycles will not be allowed, except those on essential duties. He equally warned security personnel who are not on election patrol duty to remain in their duty post as no form of excuse will be allowed to disobey the Force directives and instructions as regards the Saturday election.
- The Zone 11 Command Police Boss sound note of warning to the political actors that are desperate to win election through the use of thugs and other violent means to think twice as anyone caught violating electoral laws will be prosecuted in accordance with the extant law of the land.
- Hence, he enjoins the law-abiding electorate and the citizenry to quickly report election security situations to Zone 11 Command emergency number 09155492990 or alternatively call the ZPPRO on: 08039152115 or the nearest Area Commander or Divisional Police Officer (DPO).
- AIG S.K Akande conveyed esteem regards of IGP Usman Alkali Baba, psc(+), NPM, NEAPS, fdc, CFR, to the people of both states and wish prospective candidates success.