The Household of David Church located at Surulere Industrial Road, off Adeniyi Jones in the Ikeja Local Government Area of Lagos State was gutted by fire on Wednesday.
The state’s Fire Service spokesperson, Amodu Shakiri, disclosed that the church’s auditorium ceiling was overheating, which caused the ceiling to collapse and ignite a fire.
The National Emergency Management Agency confirmed the response of relevant agencies to the incident, in a post on its X handle, adding that there were no injuries or casualties.
The post partly read, “Responders successfully extinguished the fire, which originated at the rear end of the church.
“It went unnoticed by church workers but was brought to their attention by passersby. Thankfully, no injuries or casualties were reported.
“The church, leased and insured, had organized a 5-day crusade starting this evening and ending on February 4, 2024.
Due to the expected congregant turnout, church workers underwent training by the Fire Service.
“Responding agencies include NEMA, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Lagos Emergency Management Agency, State Fire Service, and the Police.”
Reacting to the incident, the Senior Pastor of the church, Olusola Osunmakinde, described it as “a painful experience,” adding that the church will still carry on with its conference.
He said, “We are not too discouraged but we believe in God that we will still go on with the conference.
“It is a painful experience no doubt. To everyone out there, we are not sad, we are happy for all things work together. the Bible didn’t say all good things, all things both bad and ugly.
“Today’s meeting goes on this evening, if we have to lift our hands and worship outside we will do it. We will not back out because of this.”
Credit: X| nemanigeria